How to Become a General Contractor in Mississippi

If you’re looking to become a general contractor in Mississippi, this is the article for you.

Do I Need a Contractor License?


You need a Commercial Building license if you are working on a commercial project over $50,000.

If the project involves the construction, reconstruction, repair, or maintenance of fire protection systems, you will need a Commercial Building license for:

  • A public project over $5,000
  • A private project over $10,000


The type of residential license you need depends on your project.

  • New residential construction projects over $50,000 need a Residential Building license.
  • Residential remodeling projects over $10,000 need a Residential Remodeling license.
  • Residential roofing projects over $10,000 need a Residential Roofing license.

State licenses are not required for residential electrical, plumbing, or HVAC projects, but there may be local requirements to meet. You should contact the local building official for this information.

How do I Obtain a General Contractor License in Mississippi?

  1. Complete either a commercial or residential application. You can download one, or an application can be mailed to you. The application must be received at least 30 days before the regular Board meeting dates (the second Wednesday of January, April, July, and October).
  2. You will receive information on how to schedule an exam. The exam is open-book, so the information will also let you know which books you can bring and where to get them.
  3. After the exam, your completed application, exam scores, and all required attachments will be reviewed by the BOC. A license will usually be issued in 7-10 days.

A license stays valid for one year. It is your responsibility to renew the license each year.

How do I Renew my Mississippi Contractor License?

The Mississippi State Board of Contractors (MSBOC) will mail you a renewal application about 60 days before your license expires. If you address has changed, notify MSBOC immediately. There are also online versions of the Commercial License Renewal Form and the Residential License Renewal Form.

If your expiration date has passed, your commercial or residential license can be processed as a late renewal for up to 180 days. If your license has been expired for more than 180 days, you will need a new license application.

What Tests or Exams do I Have to Take?

You will be required to take a Mississippi Law and Business Management exam. You will also need to take a trade exam if that is required. Check the MSBOC Classifications list on their website for a complete listing.

The MSBOC will provide you with a PSI Candidate Information Bulletin, which contains all the information you need to register for and schedule an exam. You won’t be able to schedule the exam until you receive a confirmation notice from PSI.

Do I Need to Carry Insurance to Get a License?


In order to apply for a license or renewal, you must show proof of general liability insurance coverage. MSBOC must be listed on the policy to be notified in the event of cancellation.

There is no requirement for a minimum policy amount for residential license holders. Commercial applicants must provide a certificate of insurance showing current minimum coverage of $300,000 per occurrence and $600,000 aggregate.

Does Mississippi Share Reciprocity with any Other States?

Although MSBOC has reciprocity agreements with other states, reciprocity applies to testing only. Contractors still have to apply for a license and fulfill all the other MSBOC licensing requirements.

What States does MSBOC reciprocate with? What exams will be waived?

If you have held a license for three consecutive years in a reciprocating state, the MSBOC will waive the trade exam only. You still have to take the Mississippi Business and Law exam.

These trade exams can be waived:

  • Alabama Board of Heating and Air Conditioning Contractors (if you have already taken the Alabama Exam)
  • Alabama Electrical Board
  • Alabama General Board (except mechanical and plumbing)
    • HVAC can be waived
  • Arkansas Contractors Licensing Board (except mechanical and electrical)
  • Georgia Board of Residential and General Contractors (if you have already taken the Georgia exam)
  • Louisiana Licensing Board for Contractors (except for mechanical)
    • HVAC can be waived
    • Electrical can be waived if the exam was taken in Louisiana
  • North Carolina Electrical Board (if you have already taken the North Carolina Exam)
  • South Carolina Contractors Licensing Board
    • Only building and electrical can be waived. The waiver requires a passed exam given by either PSI, Experior, Block or NAI
  • Tennessee Board for Licensing Contractors

A license verification is available online.

How Can I Pass the Contractor Exam in Mississippi?

Being prepared to take the course is a definite advantage. Contractor Exam Seminars offers several options for you: residential and commercial home study courses, and online Residential and commercial courses.